With the introduction of the 2012-2013 annual catalogue, SU made a very big change to their Classic Stampin' Pads. To improve your stamping experience, SU has introduced firm foam pads.
In a Nutshell:
I love the new firm foam ink pads primarily because I'm loving the crisper stamped images I am achieving plus I am able to heat emboss my images without using VersaMark when I quickly sprinkle embossing powders before the ink dries on the images. The reason for the crisper images and ability to heat emboss is because more ink is transferred from ink pad to rubber stamp and to card stock. Hence, this leads to a small downside - you will need to re-ink your firm foam pad sooner than you did with the old felt pads especially with your frequent use colours, eg. Christmas colours in the next couple of months so it's best that you refills handy when you are on a stamping spree :-)
Below is the official information provided, but please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
"...We know you're going to love these new Stampin' Pads - just look at all the exciting benefits listed below:
- Provide better ink coverage for your stamps!
- Light-tap stamping produces flawless images!
- Create wonderfully solid images. The Firm Foam releases more ink onto your rubber stamp than the felt pads. When using the Firm Foam pad, your stamp will get an even, solid covering of ink that you may not have been able to achieve with the felt pads. Please note: if you are using the ink pad frequently you may need to re-ink your Firm Foam pad more often. We recommend that you purchase a refill at the time of your ink pad purchase.
- Have a crisply printed, glossy label on the top of the pad that is easier to read and that will not fade or chip off!
- Come with colour name labels in all four languages (English, Spanish, French and German)--just choose your language, peel it off the back and add it to the side of the pad for easy identification!
- Use the same patented flip-top case design that stores the inking surface upside down, so the pad surface stays moist!
- Are available in all colours, including our exclusive In Colors!
- Basic Black
- Basic Gray
- Marina Mist
- Perfect Plum
- Tempting Turquoise
We do not recommend using the Basic Black Classic Stampin' Pad on Whisper White or Very Vanilla Card Stock. Instead, we recommend you use the StazOn Ink Pad."
- The firm foam is nice and flat and will not become wavy - no more dip in the middle of the pad;
- The firm foam material does not imprint on the stamp images like the felt pad sometimes did. However, because the firm foam material is a foam base material, the stamp image can momentarily leave an imprint on the pad, which can transfer to a second stamped image. By inking your stamp on different areas of the pad or waiting momentarily for the ink to rise back to the top, you can easily avoid this situation.
- The firm foam material is soft and has a nice bounce to it. It's not hard like the felt is - light-tap stamping produces crisp, complete coverage on both line and solid stamps - a huge difference is noticeable with solid stamps
- The ink lay-down (how the ink is absorbed into the card stock) is even, not blotchy, and dries quickly. It has an increased opacity and stamps solid images beautifully.
- The pads are juicier and are designed to stay that way longer.
- They come with colour name labels in all four languages (English, Spanish, French and German) - just choose your language, peel it off the back and add it to the side of the pad for easy identification!